It was October.
I had spent a few afternoons at craft fairs over the summer and had looked and looked for soap. Soap that was scented with Lavender or Rose... and couldn't really find anything! Anything I liked, anyway.
Either there was no discernible scent in the bath and it smelled great in the package, or the soap was not the greatest when it came to actually using it to bathe. I thought to myself, "How hard can making soap really be?" And so began what is now my new obsession - soap making.
It has gone much farther than making soap, I now offer lotion, body butter, bath tea, lip balm, calming sprays, beard oil, shave and shampoo bars - and will soon be experimenting with bath bombs, face scrubs, roll on perfume, and clay masks.
Syrup Creek is a real place. I was once in a head on collision on that road (I was not driving, and we were all okay) but there was a really cool little creek that runs alongside the road and a canyon out off the main path. There is something about the desert having being a hidden little gem. There are so many cool places out there. I have pride in my state and I hope that reflects in my choice of business names. Also, it was not taken according to and federal or state agencies - so yay me!
There have been a few failures - like the first time I mixed chamomile buds into a bar of soap without bothering to break them up at all. After a couple weeks of sitting they had managed to grow some kind of fungus inside the bar. It was pretty but I wouldn't have rubbed that against my body - nor do I expect a customer to either!
I am more conscious than ever about the products that I put on my body everyday. Take a look at what is in your shampoo for goodness sake! Or night cream. That was especially eye opening.
Ive gone a little crazy and started a website where I could sell my product and have been looking into the possibility of joining some craft bazaars around town here but some of them (ahem - Art in the Park and Ect) that are pretty expensive - makes me wonder if it is even worth signing up.
It would be cool to partner with a small shop and sell there. Like, a garden store or something. I need to do more research.
Until then, I continue to make my product better!
Be sure to check out my website, I have a hit counter! =)

No comments:
Post a Comment